If you take a look at our list of supported services you should notice that we support three HBO services, HBO NOW, HBO Nordic and HBO GO. Every now and then we get emails asking us about how these services differ from each other.
- HBO GO is only available to those that have a US cable provider login, which includes free access to HBO GO. Users are not able to sign up to HBO GO by any means. Therefore, you can only access HBO GO if you or someone in your extended family has HBO via Comcast Xfinity, DirecTV or something of that sort.
- HBO NOW is available to owners of Android, Apple TV, iOS, Samsung Smart TV, Xbox and Amazon devices (Fire TV, Kindle Fire tablets). Our research indicates that the easiest way to signup for HBO NOW subscription is by creating a US iTunes account, fund that account with iTunes gift cards, and use it to pay for HBO NOW. You can also watch HBO NOW in a desktop browser but you cannot sign up to HBO NOW in a browser. I know, weird, right?
- HBO Nordic is available on a normal web browser, iOS, Android, the new Apple TV, PlayStation, Xbox 360. However, according to our latest information HBO Nordic only accepts credit cards issues in the Nordic countries, so if you reside outside that region you may not be able to sign up to HBO Nordic using your credit card (although it probably doesn’t hurt to try).
- HBO GO and HBO Now offer the exact same content, as these are both US services, with access to 77 complete series of HBO content, including The Wire, The Sopranos, Sex and the City (and a lot more). In the screencast below you can see all the TV series available on HBO NOW.
- HBO Nordic, on the other hand, has the entire HBO catalog (just like GO/NOW) but has over 150 TV series to choose. That includes popular Cinemax series (a TV Network owned by HBO) like Banshee, Strike Back and The Knick, but also popular shows like Billions, Vikings, Penny Dreadful and The Affair to name a few. In the screencast below you can see all the TV series that are currently available on HBO Nordic.
- HBO GO is free with a US cable subscription. Normal sign ups not available by any means.
- HBO NOW costs $14.99/month. Open for sign up on certain devices as noted above.
- HBO Nordic costs 89 SEK/mon (just over $10/month). Must sign up in a web browser.
4. Supported platforms
- HBO GO is available on web browsers, Android, iOS, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, Samsung Smart TV, PlayStation 3/4 and Xbox 360/One.
- As noted before you can only sign up for HBO NOW via iOS, Android or Amazon devices. However, once you have signed up, you can access the service on all those devices, and Samsung Smart TV, Xbox 360, Xbox One and a web browser on Mac/Windows. See more at order.hbonow.com/devices.
- HBO Nordic is available on Mac/Windows, Android 4.0+, iOS 7+, the new Apple TV (the old one via AirPlay). Playstation 3/4, Xbox 360 and Samsung Smart TV.