Before you start. This setup guide is only for the 2nd and 3rd Gen Apple TV. If you have the new Apple TV, then follow this setup guide. You need to have the remote and internet connection.
If you haven’t updated you Apple TV in a long time you might be running an older version of iOS for Apple TV. We strongly recommend updating as we don’t officially support Pre iOS 5.1.
If you have a 4th generation Apple TV, please refer to this setup guide
- When your Apple TV has turned on navigate with your remote to the Settings section and select General
- Here you just select General
- In this list select Network
- Depending on your connection you will either see Wi-Fi or Ethernet on top here which you then select. In our case we use Wi-Fi.
- The list of available Wi-Fi networks is shown here if you connect via Wi-Fi. If you Apple TV is connected vie ethernet/network cable you will skip this step. If you haven’t connected before to the network you choose, you will be asked for the Wi-Fi password.
- Here you will see all the details for your internet connection. Select Configure DNS. Make sure the option Configure IP is set to Automatic. If it’s not then select Configure IP and select Automatic.